How to get Unix Timestamp?

• Another problem. ;)

I noticed that DateTime doesn't support Unix Timestamp (seconds since 1/1/1970 UTC).

mbed has function time (example) but it's not working as time(NULL) only returns -1.

Also trying to use related function set_time from mbed gives error 'set_time' was not declared in this scope.

• I will look at what it takes to implement the mbed (Clib style) time functions.

DateTime is a calendar based timestamp, that counts years, days etc. It implements the Gregorian calendar standard. Therefore I have postponed to implementing conversion to and from UNIX style time stamps.

Read: Anyone willing to pitch in, and add UNIX timestamp support in either mbed time functions, or DateTime are very welcome ;-)

• It seems that converting from Gregorian calendar to Unix Time is easiest to do by first converting to JDN (Julian day number).

Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day has needed formulas, from Gregorian year/month/date to JDN and then from JDN to Unix Time.

I can try to write this in C++ shortly.

ps. I wonder who came up with the JDN formula, it's fun trying to understand it - http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~cs1063/projects/Spring2011/Project1/jdn-explanation.html

• I'm still testing this, but so far this seems to work:

/**
         * @brief Return Julian day number of the DateTime
         */
        uint32_t toJulianDayNumber() const;

/**
         * @brief Returns Unix time of the DateTime
         */
        uint32_t toUnixTime() const;

uint32_t DateTime::toJulianDayNumber() const
    {
        if (type == LOCAL_TIME_ZONE) return toUtcTime().toJulianDayNumber();

// this formula is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day

uint32_t a = (14 - month) / 12;
        uint32_t y = year + 4800 - a;
        uint32_t m = month + 12 * a - 3;
        uint32_t jdn = day + (153 * m + 2) / 5
            + 365 * y + (y / 4) - (y / 100) + (y / 400) - 32045;

return jdn;
    }

uint32_t DateTime::toUnixTime() const
    {
        if (type == LOCAL_TIME_ZONE) return toUtcTime().toUnixTime();

uint32_t jdn = toJulianDayNumber();
        uint32_t hms = hours * 3600 + mins * 60 + secs;
        uint32_t unix_time = (jdn - 2440588) * 86400 + hms;

return unix_time;    
    }

• @malaire Cool! When ever you are ready, you are welcome to submit a pull request on GitHub 😀

I have realized that libc already contains time component conversion functions, that DateTime does not use. I was unaware of libc capabilities when I wrote the DateTime class 😖

I think it would be a good thing to replace the date / time manipulation implementations with libc's functions.

We can use localtime or gmtime for UTC time zones. These take a time_t and returns broken-down date and time components. The reverse can be done by timelocal or timegm.

We could keep DateTime as a component based, absolute time specification. Then create a class called TimeInterval or TimeSpan that is a wrapper around time_t. This will allow the following semantics in operator overloads:

//subtraction of 2 absolute times
    TimeInterval = DateTime - DateTime

// subtraction and addition of absolute and relative times
    DateTime = DateTime - TimeInterval
    DateTime = DateTime + TimeInterval

// subtraction and addition of relative times
    TimeInterval = TimeInterval - TimeInterval
    TimeInterval = TimeInterval + TimeInterval

We could also call it TimeSpan or just Time

• The reverse can be done by timelocal or timegm.

I just realized the timelocal-like functions are missing from newlib-nano. And that is what we use on Mono.

EDIT: In newlib-nano (and newlib) the timelocal is called: mktime.

• ok, I added pull request.

As for libc functions, timegm doesn't seem to be available and it seems to be a non-standard function. But as it seems to do basically same what I just added as DateTime::toUnixTime, I'm not sure if that is really needed.

UTC is somewhat simple to handle even without library functions, but localtime and especially daylight saving time is definitely not.