Should Alarm Clock be working? [SOLVED]

• Does this mean you cannot get mono to stay in sleep at all?
    Either with the alarm clock app, clock app or the Welcome app?

• @stoffera said in Should Alarm Clock be working?:

Does this mean you cannot get mono to stay in sleep at all?
    Either with the alarm clock app, clock app or the Welcome app?

How do I detect if Mono is in sleep mode? If monoprog -d doesn't detect Mono, does that mean that Mono is then in sleep mode?

If yes, then sometimes I can go to sleep mode and sometimes I can't - the behavior of user button seems completely erratic.

With Clock app: If I press user button while Clock is running and Mono is connected to computer, display goes off for a moment and then Clock restarts but never stays off. If I keep spamming monoprog -d while that happens, it goes like:

malaire@box$ monomake monoprog -d
    Mono device running app detected.
    Mono device in bootloader detected.

or

Mono device not detected on USB ports.

With Alarm Clock the behavior is completely erratic. For example I just re-installed Alarm Clock and set time. Then I pressed user button and monoprog -d didn't detect Mono anymore so presumably it was in sleep mode. I pressed user button few times and it toggled successfully between being awake and in sleep (monoprog -d returning "Mono device running app detected" or "Mono device not detected on USB ports"). But then suddenly when I pressed user button to go to sleep again the behavior changed. monoprog -d momentarily returned "Mono device in bootloader detected" and instead of going to sleep Alarm Clock just reset to 'Press to set clock'.

When pressing user button when Alarm Clock is sleeping, it seems that three things can happen:

1. Mono awakens successfully
    2. Mono goes to bootloader mode momentarily and the resets to 'Press to set clock' screen
    3. Mono goes to bootloader mode and stays there indefinitely

• Just to clarify: When connected to computer I can't ever get Clock app to go to sleep, but sometimes can get Alarm Clock to go to sleep.

When NOT connected to computer, there seems to be again erratic behavior. When Clock app is running and I press user button, screen goes off (but there seems to be no way of knowing whether Mono is in sleep mode or bootloader mode). Sometimes I can awaken Mono by pressing user button again (so presumably it was in sleep mode) but in other times nothing happens no matter how many times I press user button (so Mono seems to be stuck in bootloader mode).

• Just to clarify some issues I have seen:

If you have a serial monitor open on your computer while Mono is connected, like minicom for example. Apps like minicom will try dessert the DTR upon disconnect, triggering a reset on Mono.

Just to be sure the weird resets you are getting is not caused by a serial monitor app running.

Also, the Clock app binary is quite old. It was compiled with an earlier version of the framework. This version used a (now) legacy USB component, that forced the system to wake on USB interrupts. This means sleep mode cannot be entered when connected to an USB host. Thats is why the Clock app will never goto sleep when connected to the computer.

What I can't explain are the resets you see when you press the user button to wake the Alarm Clock app.

Can you see if the Alarm Clock app actually enters bootloader when it should really enter sleep mode? (monomake detect should return a bootloader statement and not no mono found.)

If you have a serial monitor open on your computer while Mono is connected, like minicom for example. Apps like minicom will try dessert the DTR upon disconnect, triggering a reset on Mono.

Just to be sure the weird resets you are getting is not caused by a serial monitor app running.

I'm not using anything like that myself, but I don't know how to check that Debian isn't running anything extra on background. Still this doesn't sound like a plausible cause since problem is happening when I am pressing the user button and not randomly.

Can you see if the Alarm Clock app actually enters bootloader when it should really enter sleep mode? (monomake detect should return a bootloader statement and not no mono found.)

Yes, Alarm Clock is definitely entering bootloader mode sometimes when it should enter sleep mode, but not every time.

Here I pressed user button once while Alarm Clock was running, which caused Mono to go to bootloader mode and stay there indefinitely:

malaire@box$ monomake detect

Another try doing exactly same, and this time Alarm Clock was reset to 'press to set clock' screen instead:

Mono device not detected on USB ports.

And most of the time when I tested this, Alarm Clock did go to sleep mode successfully.

• And I just got another problem. Once I finished testing and was going to put Mono away for now - I now can't put Alarm Clock to sleep at all (when not connected to computer).

Every time I press user button, Alarm Clock just resets to 'Press to set clock' screen, and if I allow Alarm Clock to time out and enter sleep mode - it doesn't, but again goes back to 'Press to set clock' screen.

• @malaire said in Should Alarm Clock be working?:

Every time I press user button, Alarm Clock just resets to 'Press to set clock' screen

It seems as if your might Mono reset if it enters sleep mode. Could we test to see if this is unique for the Alarm Clock app or this happens with other apps as well?

Can to try the Accelerometer Squeak app? Can it go to sleep and stay there (when not connected to the computer)

Also, can you try with the Welcome app, can it go to sleep and stay in sleep. (Not connected to the computer)

@malaire said in Should Alarm Clock be working?:

Every time I press user button, Alarm Clock just resets to 'Press to set clock' screen

It seems as if your might Mono reset if it enters sleep mode. Could we test to see if this is unique for the Alarm Clock app or this happens with other apps as well?

Can to try the Accelerometer Squeak app? Can it go to sleep and stay there (when not connected to the computer)

There seems to be a serious bug in this app. When entering sleep mode that seems to work, but when pressing user button to awaken, app does not awaken properly. I hear a short beep and then every 4-12 seconds (or so) screen flashes with some garbage at bottom, with a beep. And this continues indefinitely.

It seems to be impossible to get Accelerometer Squeak working once it enters sleep mode, without reinstalling the app.

Also, can you try with the Welcome app, can it go to sleep and stay in sleep. (Not connected to the computer)

Entering sleep mode and then awakening works many times, but occasionally when entering sleep mode, Mono goes to bootloader mode and stays there.

• @malaire said in Should Alarm Clock be working?:

I hear a short beep and then every 4-12 seconds (or so) screen flashes with some garbage at bottom, with a beep. And this continues indefinitely.

This is because the battery is flat. When mono tries to wake it sees the battery voltage is too low. It emit a short beep and goes to sleep again.

Try charging for a while. (If you dont want the display on, you can force mono into bootloader while charging.)

After charging for 30 mins or so, could you try to see if sleep works then?

After charging for 30 mins or so, could you try to see if sleep works then?

ok, completely different results after charging for 45 minutes (but still not working).

Welcome App: instead of going to sleep, seems to go to bootloader mode and stay there since awakening never works (tried few times, this happened every time)

Accelerometer Squek: instead of going to sleep it just restarts, like Alarm Clock (tried several times, happened every time, except once when it seemed to go to bootloader mode instead and stay there)

And all of these were tested when not connected to computer.

EDIT: So, in summary, sleep didn't work even once with either app.

• I just received new replacement Mono, and after some initial testing I've seen no problems at all with sleep.

So it seems that my problems were caused by faulty Mono. (I'll update title and first post accordingly.)