Installer installs Ubuntu packages in Debian

• I just noticed that framework-installer for Debian actually adds Ubuntu repository and installs packages from there.

In general this is really bad idea, so are you absolutely sure that this does not cause any problems in Debian?

• Are your referring to:

add-apt-repository -y pap:team-gcc-arm-embedded/ppa

or where is the Ubuntu specific repository?

• @stoffera said in Installer installs Ubuntu packages in Debian:

Are your referring to:

add-apt-repository -y pap:team-gcc-arm-embedded/ppa

or where is the Ubuntu specific repository?

Yes, according to team-gcc-arm-embedded website[1] they only support Ubuntu. Also add-apt-repository is for Ubuntu, not for Debian. While it can be used in Debian that should only be done when you know repository to be Debian-compatible.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~team-gcc-arm-embedded/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

• @malaire said in Installer installs Ubuntu packages in Debian:

Also add-apt-repository is for Ubuntu, not for Debian. While it can be used in Debian that should only be done when you know repository to be Debian-compatible.

Hi @malaire ,

Debian does not include the correct None EABI GCC Arm compiler in any apt-get sources. (That is, to my knowledge.) So using the launchpad-based repository is the only sound option we have - even though it mixes Ubuntu and Debian packages.

Let us know if you experience any issues with using the arm-none-eabi-gcc compiler on Debian - it should work.

• So you do not know if it works. And installer is even lying about what it is doing, claiming to just install repository key, when it is actually adding whole repository. And there is absolutely no warning or even notice (that I could find) anywhere that you are installing Ubuntu package.

I'm not going to risk the integrity of my Debian computer with crap like this. I guess I might try it in vm or just forget linux support and try in windows.