Monoprog?

• And now I've found out that there still isn't a gui.

But I can do cli, if needs be. Except that there is no feedback on the mono about whether or not it's correctly in boot mode.
    So either it just plain doesnt work and wont connect to the pc or it wont go into boot mode or both or neither - without any feedback, it's a tough call.

Basically I THINK it's broken, since windows doesn't detect the mono no matter how I swing it.

So: please let me know when a finished version is out and ill pop by your office for an exchange and second: Please add a cable to the box. Of the 20 random usb cables I had around, none was precisely this variant (mini/micro/pico what the f...) so I had to go to a brick and mortar shop to purchase one.

• Hi @peter-eduard, we have also thought about letting the bootloader give some kind of indication, but chose not to. We want to keep the bootloader as simple and lightweight as possible. More complexity means means risk of bugs, and also a bigger flash memory footprint. We want to "waste" as little flash as possible on the bootloader. So we sacrefied any additional functionality.

Basically I THINK it's broken, since windows doesn't detect the mono no matter how I swing it.

I think this is a rushed conclusion. We have tested all mono's at assembly. The app it came loaded with was programming using the USB port and monoprog.

Please let me know:

1. Have you installed monoprog via Monokiosk or are you using the development toolchain?
    2. When you put mono into bootloader, can you see it in Device Manager? (It should come up as a HID device called PSoC3 Bootloader.)

/kristoffer

• @stoffera Hejsa Kristoffer.

I tried to simply follow the instructions. The mono was ON when I opened the package - and the screen told me to go to a website - which I did. I then followed the instructions there (so yes, downloaded from the kiosk).

I never got it to register on windows. I measured the usb connection and it did draw power, so that part is ok.

About not showing anything in boot mode - note that this also means that you cannot tell if the mono is OFF or in bootmode (since the screen is off either way). Apparently I left mine in bootmode - so now its drained completely - not so good for the battery.

If you aim to make this a SIMPLE tool for makers, you need to up the feedback a little. ;)

• I never got it to register on windows.

I am not sure I can follow what you mean by register. Does this mean it does not appear (as PSoC3 Bootloader) in Window's Device Manager, when you put Mono into bootloader?

If it does appear, try running monoprog from a Command Prompt that runs as Administrator. Mono's bootloader present itself as a USB HID device, so it does not require any third party driver to be installed.

On the other points, you are right we need to convey more information on mono's anatomy etc. We plan to post more on our developer site, about the hardware fundamentals.

• My mono is running well but also did not register in windows (10). I figured out that I had 5 cables but only the last one was working. Looks like most of the cables for power banks or charging cables just don't work.

Still monoprog doesn't work. It always states: "Could not get access to USB device, maybe you need to use sudo?"
    So, it found Mono but can't access it.

Reading your posting, kristoffer, Mono should be called "PSoC3 Bootloader"? Right now it is (only) an HID device.
    Is this still ok? Which driver should be used? A Microsoft driver "10.0.10240.16384" from "21.06.2006" is installed right now.

Maybe there is a problem when I use the PSoC Creator 3.3 as I have other Cypress devices, too?

• @m.pflugmann said in Monoprog?:

Reading your posting, kristoffer, Mono should be called "PSoC3 Bootloader"? Right now it is (only) an HID device.
    Is this still ok? Which driver should be used? A Microsoft driver "10.0.10240.16384" from "21.06.2006" is installed right now.

Hi @m-pflugmann and others, I will quickly lay out how Mono presents itself over the USB. In short Mono is both an USB HID device (for uploading apps) and an USB CDC for the serial port. But, not at the same time. On power on or reset Mono does:

1. Bootloader (for 1 sec), it presents itself as a HID device - named PSoC3 Bootloader
    2. Then a working Mono app, presents itself as a CDC device - named Mono Serial Port

If you force Mono to stay in bootloader (and not load an app), you should see the PSoC3 Bootloader in Device Manager. This HID interface does not require a device driver, it should just work.

However, the Mono Serial Port does require a device driver to configure the USB CDC device as an ol' fashion COM port in Windows. (Mac & Linux does not need any device driver.) I guess this is why you see the "failed to register device" error message.

Mono Serial Port Driver

You can download the device driver here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/getopenmono/mono_psoc5_library/master/Generated_Source/PSoC5/USBUART_cdc.inf

When windows ask about the driver to the USB device, choose the .inf file as a driver.

This is a generic Cypress USB device driver, it only tells Windows that a specific USB Vendor and Product Id is a CDC device. There is no code or kernel extensions included.

Maybe there is a problem when I use the PSoC Creator 3.3 as I have other Cypress devices, too?

There should not be an issue here. You should be able to actually upload cypress applications to Mono using their tools. But you might cause damage to Mono when you are not using our framework, since critical software routines will be missing.

• @m.pflugmann Finding a working cable did it for me. Thanks.

• @stoffera said in Monoprog?:

@m.pflugmann said in Monoprog?:

Hi @m-pflugmann and others, I will quickly lay out how Mono presents itself over the USB. In short Mono is both an USB HID device (for uploading apps) and an USB CDC for the serial port. But, not at the same time. On power on or reset Mono does:

1. Bootloader (for 1 sec), it presents itself as a HID device - named PSoC3 Bootloader
      [..]
      If you force Mono to stay in bootloader (and not load an app), you should see the PSoC3 Bootloader in Device Manager. This HID interface does not require a device driver, it should just work.

On my win10 system it is not showing this name. That's why I asked.

[..]

There should not be an issue here. You should be able to actually upload cypress applications to Mono using their tools. But you might cause damage to Mono when you are not using our framework, since critical software routines will be missing.

But how could I work with PSoC Creator? How to connect to the device? Are the schematics available?

• @m.pflugmann said in Monoprog?:

On my win10 system it is not showing this name. That's why I asked.

I have seen it camouflaged it as a HID compliant vendor defined device in the Human Interface Devices group, inside Device Manager. This is on Windows 7, but Win 10 might do the same.

Try to plug Mono into your computer while it stays in bootloader and see if windows detects new hardware. Before you can use Monoprog, Windows should state that the new hardware is ready to use.

But how could I work with PSoC Creator? How to connect to the device? Are the schematics available?

We use the default Cypress bootloader. But at this time I will strongly advise against using PSoC Creator toolchain, since Mono depends on software routines included in the Framework package.